It was a lazy summer morning. My exams were over and I was busy planning the schedule for my summer breaks (which I rarely stick to). I was looking for a notebook where I could write down my schedule and stick it on the wall. Finally I found a pile of old notebooks from my school time. Suddenly I was more interested in going through the old sepia pages of these notebooks rather than writing my schedule. I started flipping through the pages of a particular diary and found a very old picture showing me standing along with my entire class for a group photo. I must have been in 5th grade then and looked very happy. For a moment I wondered what was it that had me grinning all wide. Others smiled too but mine was a particularly bigger and a brighter one. I tried hard to recall and after a while I had the answer right in front of me. I was wearing a new cardigan! Yes the new cardigan was reason behind my big broad grin. My new possession was no doubt brightest amongst all and that day I must have received thousands of “new pinches” from my friends. So I was basking in the glory of wearing a new cardigan.
The incident made me think about how life has changed with the passing years. I asked myself when was the last time I was “pinched” by someone when I wore a new dress. I kept thinking and thinking but alas! I couldn’t recall. Do you know the reason why I couldn’t recall it? It’s simple. Because I haven’t been “new pinched” for ages. I remember how we used to blush and feel on top of the world when someone complimented us for our new dress and gave us that painful pinch. Those pinches were no doubt painful which left the skin red and burning but there was something in it that was bound to put a smile on your face. Just a few days back I had this party to attend. I wore a new t-shirt and was all excited about it. I asked my friend how I was looking and like always I got the answer “Good” which was so dry and vacant. And my hope of getting a new pinch was lost. Actually she was in great hurry to attend the party and didn’t even have a minute to spare for a compliment.
We miss out the joys of little things in life as we are looking out for bigger reasons to be happy. We are so busy chasing our dreams that there is absolutely no time to take notice of the small things which cost nothing but a sure way to make your day. Tell me don’t you smile and feel happy without a reason when you see an adorable pup playing on the road and say to yourself “OH! That pup is so cute”? Or maybe you are too busy typing an sms and planning your hangout with friends that you don’t even bother to look at that pup.
We have time to go shopping for a nice smelling perfume or deo but have no time to stop by that beautiful flower, ignored yet budding in the corner of the garden and smell its sweet fragrance. We have time to sit in front of the laptop and keep e-mailing and chatting on facebook for hours together but have forgotten to write a letter or feel that twinkle in the eyes when we received the letters. I remember how I used to eagerly wait for my cousin’s letter. When ma used to come back from her office, I had my eyes glued to her purse until she handed me those letters. The sight of that simple envelope was a joy in itself. I used to be filled with wonder and curiosity about what was written in the letter and what tiny gift she might have managed to stuff into that envelope. And then without wasting anymore time I used to rip off the envelope hungrily to find in it a 3 paged letter along with small treasures like a strip of glowing stickers, a band or a card.
We pay money to go to parties and discos to dance but tell me when was the last time you danced barefoot in the rain and felt immense pleasure as you went splashing and jumping in a puddle of muddy water. The cool shower during scorching summers was like a blessing. In the days bygone the slightest sound of the thunder filled us with excitement and even after a thousand 'no's from our mothers we used to rush straight to the terrace just to dance in the rain. And after the showers the fragrance of the wet earth was so soothing. Those long deep breaths to take in the sweet smell of the wet loam filled our little lungs with freshness and hope. Now we have no time to stop by and take a breath of the nostalgic sweet smell of wet earth. Gone are the days of greeting the rain with our dance. Instead we get annoyed even if a drop or two of the rain falls on our favorite dress or the muddy water splashes on our brand new denim. So engrossed are we in our materialistic world that we fail to admire the beautiful sunset.
Remember those old days, when we used to sit down and make cards for our dear ones for their birthdays or maybe a “get well soon card” for some 'under the weather' friend. And how can we forget those teacher’s day cards filled with innocence which we used to make with lots of love and care to impress our favorite teacher. But now for any occasion, one stop at that Archies shop and you have the perfect card for the perfect occasion. Isn’t it all becoming a 'taken for granted' formal affair? Its all about giving a card because we have to and not because we want to….
As my memories get clearer I remember the childhood evenings of badminton and hide and seek games. Now evenings are all about either going for coaching classes or going out for shopping or just sitting in front of the net and facebook-ing for long hours.
I sigh when I recollect the days when we stood underneath the cool shade of an old tree and relished unsophisticated ice lollies and “kala khatta” instead of rushing to an air conditioned Baskin N’ Robins ice cream parlor to get a relief from the heat. Forgotten are the days when we felt a great deal of joy when you opened a new packet of a nice smelling soap or rested your head on mamma's lap when you were sad instead of sulking around all by yourself. I still smile at my growing years when I watched a soccer match with dad and argued about who was going to be the champion. Do you still remember the time when we climbed up to our terrace and watched the sunrise? The moments were inexpensive but the memory is still priceless.
These things are no doubt my “Small Wonders”. Aren't they yours?
Suddenly there was a modern day feel- the digital beep of my cell phone. It showed one message received. I opened the message which was from my friend asking me to come online. I jolted out of my reverie with a sardonic smile...and began to connect the net!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment